Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Slow Cooker Jambalya

Good Morning Amazing Readers,

Today we have food! I love meals that incorporate all the nutrition my family needs and is super simple. This is one of my families favorite meals - Jambalaya. Our version isn't as spicy as it should be because of my girls (my boy loves spicy!) So we leave the cayenne pepper out of it. Other than that you throw everything into a crock-pot and leave it on high for 4 hours or low for 8. When I had to get up at 0400 every morning and get ready for work and then wasn't getting home until almost 6, I would make this the night before and just put it in a Ziploc, put it in the fridge. This allowed me to put it on in the morning and not have to worry about rushing to get dinner done when I got home. This recipe made more than enough for our family of 5 and I typically had some left over for lunch the next day. I serve this with some white rice and everyone is happy. Feel free to adjust this recipe as needed, I've done it many times over and it is loved just the same. This version also calls for a few types of meat. I have found that the chicken tends to dry out very easily so if you can stick with the 4 hours instead of the 8 or you can simply leave it out altogether. Either way is up to you. It still make a lot of food and turns out great.

Jambalaya

1lb Cubed Chicken

1lb Auodville Sausage

1lb Cubed Ham

1 Green Pepper chopped

1 Sm Onion chopped

1 Can  Diced Tomatoes

2 Cups Chicken Broth

2 tbls Cajun Seasoning

1 tbls cayenne pepper (adjust for desired heat)

1 tsp thyme

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp parsley

If you are going to be home while this is cooking you can add rice to the soup about 30-45 mins before it's done cooking. Otherwise simply make it afterward. When using a crock-pot I recommend using the slow-cooker liners. They make everything even easier and clean up is nothing. For the already busy family, we can need all the help we can get. This recipe is amazing and it is one of my most request recipes by my family. What are your favorite meals in your home? I would love to hear your versions of this also. Happy cooking!!

As Always,
Dawn

1 comment: